The Transformation of Sitka Spruce stands to Continuous Cover Forestry
This page contains links related to my research project (2017-2021) with University College Dublin (UCD) and Teagasc Forestry Development Department.
The project supervisors are: Dr. Áine Ní Dhubháin (UCD), Dr. Ian Short (Teagasc) and Paddy Purser (PTR Ltd.). The project builds on earlier work (2010-2014) by Dr. Lucie Vitková, currently a Researcher at the Department of Forest Management, Czech University of Life Sciences, Prague, Czech Republic.
The page also includes information about forestry in Ireland, where the current project and field-work is taking place.
- UCD – University College Dublin
Related Resources on Irish Forestry:
- Forest Service – Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marin
- Society of Irish Foresters
- Pro Silva Ireland
- Crann – Trees for Ireland
- Tree Council of Ireland
- Irish Timber Growers Association
- COFORD – Council for Forest Research and Development
Background Publications and Information
- Morgan, P., and E. R. Wilson. 2013. The AFI Network: monitoring continuous cover forests in Europe. Society of American Foresters National Convention 2013 – Silviculture Matters! North Charleston, South Carolina, USA, 23-27 October 2013. [view pdf] or SlideShare
- Sanchez, C. 2017. Pro Silva silviculture: guidelines on continuous cover forestry/close to nature forestry management practices. Forêt Wallonne, Namur, Belgium. 64 p. Link here
- Vitková, L., and Á. Ní Dhubháin. 2013. Transformation to continuous cover forestry: a review. Irish Forestry 70(1/2): 119-140 Link here
- Vitková, L., Á. Ní Dhubháin, P. Ó’Tuama and P. Purser. 2013. The practice of continuous cover forestry in Ireland. Irish Forestry 70(1/2): 141-156 Link here
- Vitková, L., Á. Ní Dhubháin and V. Upton. 2014. Forestry professionals’ attitudes and beliefs in relation to, and understanding of continuous cover forestry. Scottish Forestry 68(3): 17-25
- Wilson, E. R., and P. Morgan. 2013. Long-term research in uneven-aged silviculture at Glentress Forest, Scotland. Society of American Foresters National Convention 2013 – Silviculture Matters. North Charleston, South Carolina, USA, 23-27 October 2013. [view pdf] or SlideShare
- Helliwell, D. R., and E. R. Wilson. 2012. Continuous cover forestry in Britain: challenges and opportunities. Quarterly Journal of Forestry 106(3): 214-224
- Wilson, E. R., H. W. McIver and D. C. Malcolm. 1999. Transformation to irregular structure of an upland conifer forest. Forestry Chronicle 75(3): 407-412