Silviculture Research International has a long track record in delivering award-winning and inspirational courses in tree biology, silviculture and sustainable forest management.
We are currently developing a catalogue of short courses and knowledge sharing events for 2019. Our target audience includes forestry professionals, woodland owners, university and college students, and community groups. These will build on our established programme of talks and courses previously delivered for a diverse range of organisations.
For further information: contact here
Course 01: Tree Marker Training
Following a successful pilot in September 2018, we are now proceeding with a programme of 2-day tree marker training courses. In 2019, CCF tree marker training courses are being offered with Pro Silva Ireland. These will focus on early-stage transformation of conifer plantations to continuous cover forestry. Course dates and locations are as follows:
- Course 1 – Ystwyth Forest | September 2018 | Completed (with Natural Resources Wales)
- Course 2 – Ysywyth Forest | November 2018 | Completed (with Natural Resources Wales)
- Course 3 – Kilteel Forest | 20-21 March 2019 | Completed (with Pro Silva Ireland)
- Course 4 – Kilteel Forest | 27-28 March 2019 | Completed (with Pro Silva Ireland)
- Course 5 – Kilteel Forest | 4-5 July 2019 | Completed (with Pro Silva Ireland/Teagasc Forestry)
- Course 6 – Kilteel Forest | 4-5 September 2019 | Fully Booked (with Pro Silva Ireland)
- Course 7 – Kilteel Forest | 11-12 September 2019 | Fully Booked (with Pro Silva Ireland)
Tree Marker Training (Early transformation of stands to CCF) with Pro Silva Ireland
The Pro Silva Ireland course comprises two indoor sessions (Naas, County Kildare) and two outdoor sessions (Kilteel Forest, County Kildare). The forest has a specially-prepared training plot where all the trees are numbered and assessed in terms of a range of qualitative and quantitative attributes. This forms the basis of hands-on training exercises designed to developed skills in the application of tree marking prescriptions designed to transform planted woodlands to continuous cover forests.
- Full details and booking information are on the Pro Silva Ireland website here.
- Further details are located on the course notice here.
- PLEASE NOTE: CURRENT COURSES ARE NOW FULLY SUBSCRIBED – ADDITIONAL DATES WILL BE ANNOUNCED SOON.
- Please make contact for further advice.
OTHER TRAINING COURSES
Course 02: Know Your Trees – Conifers
This course will provide an introduction to the main conifer species found in Britain and Ireland. The course will include indoor and outdoor sessions. Participants will develop a tree key, using leaves, buds and reproductive structures. Later there will be an opportunity to see many specimens during a woodland or arboretum walk, depending on the course location.
Course 03: Know Your Trees – Broadleaves | Summer/Autumn
This course will provide an introduction to the main native and non-native broadleaved species found in Britain and Ireland. The course will include indoor and outdoor sessions. Participants will develop a tree key, using leaves, buds and reproductive structures. Later there will be an opportunity to see many specimens during a woodland or arboretum walk, depending on the course location.
Course 04: Woodland Planning
Turning ideas into practice is what this course is all about. Gathering and organising information about a woodland will be reviewed and explained. Participants will gain insight to laying out a woodland management plan and writing appropriate stand-level prescriptions for planned interventions. Practice in basic mapping and data management techniques will be included in the course.
Course 05: Tree and Woodland Measurements
This course includes a comprehensive overview of the basic measurements required for woodland management. Key terms, equipment and measurement techniques will be explained and demonstrated. There will be an opportunity to practice data collection to complete a basic woodland inventory.