Silviculture Research International has a long track record in delivering award-winning and inspirational courses in tree biology, silviculture and sustainable forest management.
We are currently focusing on the development and delivery of a series of short courses and knowledge sharing events in Continuous Cover Forestry (CCF). Our target audience includes forestry professionals, woodland owners, university and college students, and community groups. This work builds on our established programme of talks and courses for a diverse range of organisations.
Current Course Offerings:
Course 01 | Tree Marker Training
Early-stage transformation of Sitka spruce stands to Continuous Cover Forestry (Level 1)
Following a successful pilot in September 2018, we are now proceeding with delivery of a 2-day tree marker training course. From 2019, we are working in close collaboration with Pro Silva Ireland to deliver this course for foresters, woodland owners and forestry students in Ireland. This course focuses on early-stage transformation of conifer plantations to continuous cover forestry. It is designed to provide an introduction to the theory of CCF and the practical steps involved in starting the transformation of a planted stand.
The Tree Marker Traning course comprises two indoor sessions (Naas, County Kildare) and two outdoor sessions (Kilteel Forest, County Kildare). The forest has a specially-prepared training plot where all the trees are numbered and assessed in terms of a range of qualitative and quantitative attributes. This forms the basis of hands-on training exercises designed to developed skills in the application of tree marking prescriptions designed to transform planted woodlands to continuous cover forests.
Currently, the Level 1 course serves as an introduction to tree marking and stand transformation. At a future date we plan to add a Level 2 course that will explore more advanced elements of CCF practice and serve as a “train the trainer” opportunity for participants interested in developing their skills in training.
Course dates and locations for all Level 1 courses are as follows:
- Course 01-1 – Ystwyth Forest | September 2018 | Completed (with Natural Resources Wales)
- Course 01-2 – Ysywyth Forest | November 2018 | Completed (with Natural Resources Wales)
- Course 01-3 – Kilteel Forest | 20-21 March 2019 | Completed (with Pro Silva Ireland)
- Course 01-4 – Kilteel Forest | 27-28 March 2019 | Completed (with Pro Silva Ireland)
- Course 01-5 – Kilteel Forest | 4-5 July 2019 | Completed (with Pro Silva Ireland/Teagasc Forestry)
- Course 01-6 – Kilteel Forest | 4-5 September 2019 | Completed (with Pro Silva Ireland)
- Course 01-7 – Kilteel Forest | 11-12 September 2019 | Completed (with Pro Silva Ireland)
- Full details and booking information are on the Pro Silva Ireland website here.
- Further details are located on the course notice here.
- PLEASE NOTE: The 2019 series of courses is now complete. We will be continuing in 2020. Please check for details of new dates and registration information.
- Please make contact for further advice.