Edward (Ted) Wilson is a Scots-Canadian silviculturist dedicated to the sustainable management and conservation of northern forest resources. Currently he is Walsh Fellow in Silviculture at the Teagasc Forestry Development Department, Ashtown Research Centre, and the School of Agriculture and Food Sciences, University College Dublin (UCD), in Dublin, Ireland. In addition, he holds academic appointments at the Faculty of Forestry, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada and Scottish School of Forestry, University of the Highlands and Islands, Inverness, Scotland.
Ted is an active public policy adviser, researcher and educator specialising in forestry and forest conservation of temperate and boreal forests (northern forests). He has worked in the UK and Canada throughout his career, including posts with the Canadian Forest Service, Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry, UK Forestry Commission and the Royal Forestry Society. In 2012 he was Visiting Scholar at the Faculty of Forestry and Environmental Management, University of New Brunswick, Canada.
Ted’s research interests are in the areas of tree biology, woodland establishment and silvicultural systems, especially continuous cover forestry (CCF). At Teagasc and UCD, his current focus is the transformation of even-aged plantations to irregular structure forests. Recent projects have included research on seedling quality enhancement and species diversification to promote the ecological resilience of woodlands. In addition, he undertakes research on professional forestry education and the benefits of woodland for public health.
Awards and Recognition
- Gold Medal, Canadian Institute of Forestry
- James Prize, Royal Forestry Society (shared with J. R. Clark)
- Teaching Innovation Award (x2), University of Central Lancashire, England, UK
- Royal Society of Biology (Fellow, FRSB)
- Society of Irish Foresters (Technical Member, MSIF)
- Canadian Institute of Forestry
- Royal Forestry Society
- British Ecological Society
- IUFRO – International Union of Forest Research Organisations.
- Continuous Cover Forestry Group
- Irregular Silviculture Network
- Arboricultural Journal: International Journal of Urban Forestry, journal of the Arboricultural Association link
- Forestry Chronicle, journal of the Canadian Institute of Forestry link
- Arboricultural Journal
- Forest Ecology and Management
- Forestry Chronicle
- Forest Ecosystems
- Journal of Environmental Planning and Management
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC), Canadian Research Council.
- Quarterly Journal of Forestry
Leadership (selection of recent/current roles and committees)
- Member, Forestry Skills Forum, England and Wales (2015-2017)
- Member, National Forestry Forum, Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) (2015)
- Member, Working Group on Forests and Natura 2000, European Commission (2010 to present)
- Member, Forestry and Woodland Advisory Committee (North West England), Forestry Commission (2009-2017)
- Member, Conservation Advisory Group, Woodland Trust (2015 to present)
- Judge, Tree of the Year Award (England), Woodland Trust (2015, 2016, 2017)
- Judge, Education and Learning Award, Excellence in Forestry Awards, Royal Forestry Society (2016, 2017)
- Member, Education Advisory Group, Royal Forestry Society (2015-2017)
- Board Member and Scientific Advisor, Irregular Silviculture Network (ISN) (2016 to present)
- Governor, Cumbria Partnership NHS Foundation Trust (2012-2014)
ResearchGate: Edward Wilson on ResearchGate
Download: My Cumbria (profile article in Cumbria Life Magazine, June 2014)