Edward (Ted) Wilson is a silviculturist and forest conservationist who specialises in the sustainability, resilience and conservation of temperate and boreal forests.
Ted enjoys a multi-faceted career as a public policy adviser, researcher, practitioner and educator. He has extensive international experience, and has delivered projects in over 15 countries. In particular, he has worked in the UK and Canada for over 35 years. He has held posts with the Canadian Forest Service, Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry, UK Forestry Commission and the Royal Forestry Society. In 2012 he was Visiting Scholar at the Faculty of Forestry and Environmental Management, University of New Brunswick, Canada.
Ted’s research interests are in the areas of tree biology, woodland establishment and silvicultural systems, especially continuous cover forestry (CCF). His current focus is the transformation of even-aged plantations to irregular structure forests. Recent projects have included research on seedling quality enhancement and species diversification to promote the ecological resilience of woodlands. In addition, he undertakes research on professional forestry education and the benefits of woodland for public health.
Education and training have always been important elements of Ted’s professional practice. He has organised conferences, workshops, open days and training programmes for government, non-government and professional organisations. Currently, he is delivering courses in CCF, including 1- and 2-day courses in tree marker training and biodiversity management in a range of woodland types.
- Adjunct Professor of Silviculture, Institute of Forestry and Conservation, John H. Daniels Faculty of Architecture, Landscape and Design and Graduate Department of Forestry, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Walsh Scholar in Silviculture, School of Agriculture and Food Science, University College Dublin, Belfield, Dublin, Ireland and Teagasc Forestry Development Department, Ashtown, Dublin, Ireland
- Lecturer (Supply), Scottish School of Forestry, University of the Highlands and Islands, Inverness, Scotland
Awards and Recognition
- Gold Medal, Canadian Institute of Forestry
- James Prize, Royal Forestry Society (shared with J. R. Clark)
- Teaching Innovation Award (x2), University of Central Lancashire, England, UK
- Royal Society of Biology (Fellow, FRSB; elected 2016)
- Society of Irish Foresters (Technical Member, MSIF)
- Pro Silva Ireland
- Canadian Institute of Forestry
- Royal Forestry Society (Corporate Member)
- British Ecological Society
- IUFRO – International Union of Forest Research Organisations.
Service and Leadership | selected roles
- External Panel Member, Validation Committee for BSc (Hons) Forestry & Conservation Programmes, University of Cumbria, UK (2019)
- Judge, Education and Learning Award, Excellence in Forestry Awards, Royal Forestry Society (2016, 2017)
- Board Member and Scientific Advisor, Irregular Silviculture Network (ISN) (2016-2019)
- Member, Conservation Advisory Group, Woodland Trust (2016-2019)
- Judge, Tree of the Year Award (England), Woodland Trust (2015, 2016, 2017)
- Member, Education Advisory Group, Royal Forestry Society (2015-2017)
- Member, Forestry Skills Forum, England and Wales (2015-2017)
- Member, National Forestry Forum, Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) (2015)
- Chair, National Conference, Continuous Cover Forestry: delivering sustainable and resilient forests in Britain, Continuous Cover Forestry Group (2014)
- Associate Editor, Forestry Chronicle, journal of the Canadian Institute of Forestry (2014-2017)
- Member, Working Group on Forests and Natura 2000, European Commission (2010-2012)
- Member, Forestry and Woodland Advisory Committee (North West England), Forestry Commission (2009-2017)
- International Editorial Board, Arboricultural Journal: International Journal of Urban Forestry, journal of the Arboricultural Association (2008-2019)
- Arboricultural Journal
- Cambridge University Press
- Forest Ecology and Management
- Forestry Chronicle
- Journal of Environmental Planning and Management
- Quarterly Journal of Forestry