This page contains a range of reports and papers that may be of interest, including general forestry information, proceedings from conferences and workshops, archive reports and links, and material related to forestry and forest conservation policy (see link to separate page).
General Forestry Resources and Information
- Sylva, or a discourse of forest trees, by John Evelyn (1664) [online edition]
- Independent Panel on Forestry, Final Report, July 2012
- 3rd International Congress on Planted Forests: Summary Report, July 2013 [view pdf]
- Forestry Commission Science and Innovation Draft Strategy, July 2013
- Forestry and woodlands policy statement: implementation plan update. July 2013
Biology and Silvics of Tree Species
- Silvics of North America. Link here.
Full Citation: Burns, Russell M., and Barbara H. Honkala, (tech. coords.) 1990. Silvics of North America: 1. Conifers; 2. Hardwoods. Agriculture Handbook 654. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Washington, DC. vol.2, 877 p.
- Forest Research Tree Species and Provenance Database. Link here.
Information on over 60 tree species that are either widely grown in British forests at the present time or which could play an increasing role in the future, focusing on those species which could be expected to produce usable timber in British conditions.
- SilviFutures – Link here.
SilviFuture is a network established to promote and share knowledge about novel forest species across Britain. It is a tool for forest owners, managers and those with an interest in timber. The online database includes information on a number of “alternative” and “novel” species that previously were only considered of minor importance. Given the need to diversify the forest estate, to enhance ecological resilience, many of these species may play a more important role in the future. The database is based on material produced by Forest Research on species characteristics and provenance selection.
- Native Woodland Survey of Scotland (NWSS) – link to resources page, mapping and report here.
Forestry and Global Climate Change
A dedicated page has been created with information on forestry and global climate change. Link here.
Continuous Cover Forestry
- Alternative silvicultural systems: independent review and case studies, by Scott Wilson, March 2013 [view pdf] [This report was financially sponsored by the Scottish Forestry Trust and the Forestry Commission]
Forestry and Forest Conservation Policy Resources and Information
Software for Forestry Studies
- US Forest Service – Tools and Applications. Link here.
- US Forest Service – Stand Visualization System (SVS). Link here.
- SVS Manual. Link here.
- US Forest Service – Forest Vegetation Simlulator (FVS). Link here.
Forestry Image Galleries
- Forestry Images – online image archive of US Forest Service. Link here.
Last updated: 25 November 2017