Inspiring Advances in the Science and Practice of Forestry
Now in our 22nd year, Silviculture Research International is dedicated to advancing the science and practice of silviculture, especially its application to sustainable forest management and conservation in temperate and boreal regions. Please follow the links for further information:
- Practice – practice information and contact details – link here
- Project – projects, knowledge transfer, articles, presentations, images – link here
- Resources – links to information about forestry and forest conservation – link here
- Latest News – overview of forthcoming and recent activity – link here
Silviculture Research International is currently delivering projects in Ireland, the United Kingdom, the European Union and Canada.
- LATEST Wilson, E. R., P. O’Tuama and J. Spazzi. 2020. Continuous Cover Forestry in Ireland: update on recent developments and initiatives. CCFG Newsletter 41 (Winter 2020): 71-77.
- Spazzi, J., P. O’Tuama, E. R. Wilson and I. Short. 2019. Comparison of three inventory protocols for use in privately-owned plantations under transformation to Continuous Cover Forestry. Irish Forestry 76(1/2): 8-28.
- Wilson, E. R., and P. O’Tuama. 2019. Continuing developments for continuous cover forestry. Forestry and Energy Review. 9(2): 30-32.
- Spazzi, J., E. R. Wilson and I. Short. 2019. Continuous cover forestry. Irish Forestry and Timber Yearbook, 30th Edition. Irish Timber Growers Association, Dalkey, Co Dublin. 200 pp.
- Wilson, E. 2019. The risk to woodland of putting wolves and bears back together. Letter to Editor. The Guardian. Print: The Journal Section, p. 7, 20 July 2019. Online: URL: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jul/19/the-risk-to-woodland-of-putting-wolves-and-bears-back-together, 19 July 2019.
- Leslie, A. D., M. Mencuccini, M. P. Perks and E. R. Wilson. 2019. A review of the suitability of eucalypts for short rotation forestry for energy in the UK. New Forests: DOI: 10.1007/s11056-019-09717-w
Technical and Scientific Presentations:
- FORTHCOMING Wilson. E.R. 2020. The future of British forestry [Title TBC]. Royal Forestry Society, North West England Region. Downham, Lancashire. 17 September 2020 [TBC].
- Wilson, E. R., I. Short, Á. Ní Dhubháin and P. Purser. 2020. Continuous cover forestry research in Ireland: preliminary results. Continuous Cover Forestry Workshop, Forêt.Nature, Marche-en-Famenne, Belgium. 20 January 2020.
- Wilson, E. R., I. Short, Á. Ní Dhubháin and P. Purser. 2019. TranSSFor Project: research update. Teagasc Forestry Development Department. Athenry, County Galway, Ireland. 12 December 2019.
- Wilson, E. R., I. Short, Á. Ní Dhubháin and P. Purser. 2019. The TranSSFor Project – Transformation of Sitka spruce stands to continuous cover forestry. ESRM Research Conference, University College Dublin. 6 December 2019.
- Wilson, E. R. 2019. Continuous cover forestry – the rise of transformational silviculture in Ireland and the UK. Guest Seminar. Canadian Forest Service. Atlantic Forestry Centre, Fredericton, NB, Canada. 22 October 2019.
Training and Professional Development Courses:
- Continuous Cover Forestry: Managing for Timber and Biodiversity. 1-day Training Course. Coillte. Donadea Forest Park, County Kildare, Ireland. 26 September 2019.
- Continuous Cover Forestry: Managing for Timber and Biodiversity. 1-day Training Course. Coillte. Donadea Forest Park, County Kildare, Ireland. 25 September 2019.
- Tree Marker Training – Early Transformation to Continuous Cover Forestry (CCF) in Sitka spruce. 2-day short course, Kilteel Forest and Naas, Co Kildare, Ireland. LATEST COURSES: 4-5 September 2019 and 11-12 September 2019. See links for further information here; course outline here.
- Carbon Brief – In-depth Q&A: How will tree planting help the UK meet its climate goals? Carbon Brief, 18 March 2020.
- Pro Silva Ireland presents continuous cover forestry as a crucial response to the urgent threat of climate change to the Joint Committee on Action in the Dail – Pro Silva Ireland, 12 December 2019.
- Teagasc promotes Continuous Cover Forestry in Ireland – Pro Silva Ireland, 29 July 2019.
- Pro Silva Ireland supporting early career professionals – Pro Silva Ireland, 26 July 2019.
- Guest and invited lectures announced for University of Toronto and University of New Brunswick, Canada, October 2019.
- Early Stages of Transformation to Continuous Cover Forestry (CCF) in Farm Forest conifer plantations – Pro Silva Ireland, 12 June 2019.
- Pro Silva Ireland Open Forest Day at TranSSFor Ballycullen Forest, 27 April 2019.
- First two Pro Silva Ireland Continuous Cover Forestry Training Days a Success – Pro Silva Ireland, 3 April 2019.
- TranSSFor – Update on Research in Continuous Cover Forestry. Forestry Development Department Research Day. Oak Park, Co. Carlow. 16 October 2019. [view pdf]
- Transformation of Sitka spruce stands to CCF: Fossyhill Thinning Study. Laois Farm Forestry Group, Forest Visit. Fossyhill, Co. Laois. 23 September 2019.
- Forest Resilience Advanced Summer School. Swiss Forest Lab. Davos, Switzerland. 18-24 August 2019.
- Silviculture Training Plots for Continuous Cover Forestry: the Irish Marteloscope Programme. Joint Teagasc/ISN/EFI Meeting. Carlow and Ashtown, Ireland. 14-15 February 2019.
In the Community: