Inspiring Advances in the Science and Practice of Forestry
Now in our 22nd year, Silviculture Research International is dedicated to advancing the science and practice of silviculture, especially its application to sustainable forest management and conservation in temperate and boreal regions. Please follow the links for further information:
- Practice – practice information and contact details – link here
- Project – projects, knowledge transfer, articles, presentations – link here
- Resources – links to information about forestry and forest conservation – link here
Silviculture Research International is currently delivering projects in Ireland, the United Kingdom, the European Union and Canada.
Silviculture Research International News
- Latest Publications:
- Leslie, A. D., M. Mencuccini, M. P. Perks and E. R. Wilson. 2019. A review of the suitability of eucalypts for short rotation forestry for energy in the UK. New Forests: DOI: 10.1007/s11056-019-09717-w
- Latest Media:
- Pro Silva Ireland Open Forest Day at TranSSFor Ballycullen Forest, 27 April 2019.
- First two Pro Silva Ireland Continuous Cover Forestry Training Days a Success – Pro Silva Ireland, 3 April 2019.
- Czech Forestry in Crisis. Ted Wilson on Czech Radio (Český rozhias) to discuss forest conservation, the benefits of continuous cover forestry and Ireland’s forests. Interviewed by Vit Pohanka, Český rozhias, 26 October 2018. Timing 13′; Ireland segment 6′.
- Research Update:
- Silviculture Training Plots for Continuous Cover Forestry: the Irish Marteloscope Programme. Joint Teagasc/ISN/EFI Meeting. Carlow and Ashtown, Ireland. 14-15 February 2019.
- Short Courses:
- Tree Marker Training – Early Transformation to Continuous Cover Forestry (CCF) in Sitka spruce. 2-day short course, Kilteel Forest and Naas, Co Kildare, Ireland. NEW COURSE DATES ANNOUNCED: 4-5 September 2019 and 11-12 September 2019. See links for details: booking information will be posted soon here; course outline here.
- Technical Presentations:
- FORTHCOMING Wilson, E. R. 2019. From tree crops to natural woodland: continuous cover forestry and re-wilding. Conference Presentation. Opportunities and Issues in Re-wilding Conference. Sheffield Hallam University, Sheffield, United Kingdom. 22-23 May 2019.
- Wilson, E. R., I. Short, Á. Ní Dhubháin, P. Purser and P. O’Tuama. 2019. Transformation of Sitka spruce stands to continuous cover forestry: the TranSSFor thinning study, Ballycullen, Co. Wicklow, Ireland. Pro Silva Ireland Open Forest Day. 27 April 2019.
- Public Talks:
- Wilson, E. R. 2019. Tree and woodland health in Cumbria. Cumbria Wildlife Trust, Sedbergh, Cumbria, England. 09 January 2019.
Forestry Research and Conservation News
- New sustainable forest management grant for Continuous Cover Forestry (CCF) announced by Forest Service in Ireland, 22 January 2019.
- Virtual Issue on Uneven-Aged Forestry in the journal Forestry
- Latest news about the IUFRO World Congress, Curitiba, Brazil (29 Sep-5 Oct 2019) (from: IUFRO)
- International PhD students in forestry at Toronto to pay domestic tuition fees (from: Faculty of Forestry, University of Toronto)
- The Foresting of the West, trees are covering more of the land in rich countries (from: The Economist).