INSPIRING ADVANCES IN THE SCIENCE AND PRACTICE OF SUSTAINABLE FORESTRY
Now in our 21st year, Silviculture Research International is dedicated to advancing the science and practice of silviculture, especially its application to sustainable management and conservation in northern forest regions. Please follow the links for further information:
- Practice – practice information and contact details – link here
- Project – projects, knowledge transfer, articles, presentations – link here
- Resources – links to information about forestry and forest conservation – link here
Silviculture Research International is currently delivering projects in Ireland, the United Kingdom, the European Union and Canada.
Silviculture Research International News
- Latest Publications:
- Wilson, E. R. 2018. Higher education qualifications in professional forestry in Britain and Ireland. Forestry Journal 290 (October 2018): 46-48
- Wilson, E. R. 2018. A view from the treetops. Online article. Pro Silva Ireland. URL: https://prosilvaireland.com/2018/10/28/a-view-from-the-treetops/ Published: 28 October 2018.
- Latest Media:
- Ted Wilson on Czech Radio (Český rozhias) to discuss forest conservation, the benefits of continuous cover forestry and Ireland’s forests. Interviewed by Vit Pohanka, Český rozhias, 26 October 2018. Whole item 13 mins, my segment starts at 6 mins.
- Research Update:
- Pro Silva Bohemica Conference, Exemplary Silvicultural Units in Kocanda District, Czech Republic. 25-26 October 2018.
- Research meeting and study visit, Freiburg, Baden-Württemberg, Germany and Obernai, Alsace, France, 11-16 September 2018.
- Short Course:
- Tree Marker Training (Continuous Cover Forestry, Level 1), Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Wales, 15-16 November 2018. See Training page for further details.
- Latest Presentations:
- Wilson, E. R., P. O’Tuama, I. Short, Á. Ní Dhubháin and P. Purser. 2018. Transformation of Sitka spruce stands to continuous cover forestry: the TranSSFor thinning study. Knowledge dissemination event, Fossyhill Forest, Co. Laois, Ireland. Waterford Institute of Technology, Silviculture Study Visit, 19 November 2018.
- Wilson, E. R., I. Short, Á. Ní Dhubháin and P. Purser. 2018. Transformation of Sitka spruce stands to continuous cover forestry: the TranSSFor thinning study. Knowledge dissemination event, Ballycullen, Co. Wicklow. University College Dublin Forestry, Silviculture Study Visit, 2 November 2018.
- Wilson, E. R., I. Short, Á. Ní Dhubháin and P. Purser. 2018. Transforming Sitka spruce plantations to continuous cover forestry in Ireland. Pro Silva Bohemica Workshop, Exemplary Forest Units of Uneven-aged Forestry within the Forest District of Kocanda, Czech Republic. 25-26 October 2018.
- Wilson, E. R., I. Short, Á. Ní Dhubháin and P. Purser. 2018. Which tree to cut, which tree to leave? A qualitative analysis of foresters’ decision-making processes in continuous cover forests. Qualitative Research Group Seminar, Teagasc, Ashtown Research Centre, Dublin, Ireland. 20 September 2018.
Forestry Research and Conservation News
- Latest news about the IUFRO World Congress, Curitiba, Brazil (29 Sep-5 Oct 2019) (from: IUFRO)
- International PhD students in forestry at Toronto to pay domestic tuition fees (from: Faculty of Forestry, University of Toronto)
- Latest news about the 11th IUFRO Workshop on Uneven-aged Silviculture: Challenges for Increasing Adaptability (12-18 Nov 2018, Chile) (from: IUFRO)
- The Foresting of the West, trees are covering more of the land in rich countries (from: The Economist).
Forestry at UCD