INSPIRING ADVANCES IN THE SCIENCE AND PRACTICE OF SUSTAINABLE FORESTRY
Now in our 21st year, Silviculture Research International is dedicated to advancing the science and practice of silviculture, especially its application to sustainable forest management and conservation in temperate and boreal regions. Please follow the links for further information:
- Practice – practice information and contact details – link here
- Project – projects, knowledge transfer, articles, presentations – link here
- Resources – links to information about forestry and forest conservation – link here
Silviculture Research International is currently delivering projects in Ireland, the United Kingdom, the European Union and Canada.
Silviculture Research International News
- Latest Publications:
- Wilson, E. R. 2018. Higher education qualifications in professional forestry in Britain and Ireland. Forestry Journal 290 (October 2018): 46-48
- Wilson, E. R. 2018. A view from the treetops. Online article. Pro Silva Ireland. URL: https://prosilvaireland.com/2018/10/28/a-view-from-the-treetops/ Published: 28 October 2018.
- Latest Media:
- Ted Wilson on Czech Radio (Český rozhias) to discuss forest conservation, the benefits of continuous cover forestry and Ireland’s forests. Interviewed by Vit Pohanka, Český rozhias, 26 October 2018. Timing 13′; Ireland segment 6′.
- Research Update:
- FORTHCOMING Silviculture Training Plots: the Irish Marteloscope Project. Joint Teagasc/ISN/EFI Meeting. Carlow and Ashtown, Ireland. 14-15 February 2019.
- Pro Silva Bohemica Conference, Exemplary Silvicultural Units in Kocanda District, Czech Republic. 25-26 October 2018.
- Research meeting and study visit, Freiburg, Baden-Württemberg, Germany and Obernai, Alsace, France, 11-16 September 2018.
- Short Course:
- FORTHCOMING Tree Marker Training – Early Transformation to Continuous Cover Forestry (CCF) in Sitka spruce. 2-day short course, Kilteel Forest and Naas, Co Kildare, Ireland. Two dates announced: 20-21 March and 27-28 March 2019. See links for details: booking information here; course outline here. PLEASE NOTE: CURRENT COURSES ARE NOW FULLY SUBSCRIBED – ADDITIONAL DATES WILL BE ANNOUNCED SOON.
- Tree Marker Training (Continuous Cover Forestry, Level 1), Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Wales, 15-16 November 2018. See Training page for further details.
- Latest Technical Presentations:
- FORTHCOMING Wilson, E. R. 2019. From tree crops to natural woodland: continuous cover forestry and re-wilding. Conference Presentation. Opportunities and Issues in Re-wilding Conference. Sheffield Hallam University, Sheffield, United Kingdom. 22-23 May 2019.
- FORTHCOMING Wilson, E. R., I. Short, Á. Ní Dhubháin, P. Purser and P. O’Tuama. 2019. Transformation of Sitka spruce stands to continuous cover forestry: the TranSSFor thinning study. Knowledge dissemination event, Ballycullen, Co. Wicklow, Ireland. Pro Silva Ireland Open Forest Day. 27 April 2019.
- Wilson, E. R., I. Short, Á. Ní Dhubháin and P. Purser. 2019. Continuous cover forestry. Invited Lecture, Laois Farm Forestry Group, AGM, Abbeyleix, Co. Laois, Ireland. 24 January 2019.
- Ní Dhubháin, Á., and E. R. Wilson. 2019. Alternatives to clearfell. Agri-Food and Biosciences Institute (AFBI), All Ireland Woody Plant Seminar, Armagh, Northern Ireland. 15 January 2019.
- Wilson, E. R. 2019. Tree and woodland health in Cumbria. Cumbria Wildlife Trust, Sedbergh, Cumbria, England. 09 January 2019.
- Wilson, E. R., P. O’Tuama, I. Short, Á. Ní Dhubháin and P. Purser. 2018. Transformation of Sitka spruce stands to continuous cover forestry: the TranSSFor thinning study. Knowledge dissemination event, Fossyhill Forest, Co. Laois, Ireland. Waterford Institute of Technology, Silviculture Study Visit, 19 November 2018.
- Wilson, E. R., I. Short, Á. Ní Dhubháin and P. Purser. 2018. Transformation of Sitka spruce stands to continuous cover forestry: the TranSSFor thinning study. Knowledge dissemination event, Ballycullen, Co. Wicklow. University College Dublin Forestry, Silviculture Study Visit, 2 November 2018.
- Wilson, E. R., I. Short, Á. Ní Dhubháin and P. Purser. 2018. Transforming Sitka spruce plantations to continuous cover forestry in Ireland. Pro Silva Bohemica Workshop, Exemplary Forest Units of Uneven-aged Forestry within the Forest District of Kocanda, Czech Republic. 25-26 October 2018.
- Wilson, E. R., I. Short, Á. Ní Dhubháin and P. Purser. 2018. Which tree to cut, which tree to leave? A qualitative analysis of foresters’ decision-making processes in continuous cover forests. Qualitative Research Group Seminar, Teagasc, Ashtown Research Centre, Dublin, Ireland. 20 September 2018.
Forestry Research and Conservation News
- New sustainable forest management grant for Continuous Cover Forestry (CCF) announced by Forest Service in Ireland, 22 January 2019.
- Virtual Issue on Uneven-Aged Forestry in the journal Forestry
- Latest news about the IUFRO World Congress, Curitiba, Brazil (29 Sep-5 Oct 2019) (from: IUFRO)
- International PhD students in forestry at Toronto to pay domestic tuition fees (from: Faculty of Forestry, University of Toronto)
- The Foresting of the West, trees are covering more of the land in rich countries (from: The Economist).